As of 2014 the Manhattan Detention Complex consists of two buildings: a South Tower, the former Manhattan House of Detention, completely remodeled and reopened in 1983, and a new North Tower to the north across White Street, completed in 1990 and designed by Max O.
Urbahn Associates and Litchfield-Grosfeld Associates. The entire complex still houses only male inmates, most of them pretrial detainees.
By the early 20th century, reforms began to be made as the first prison school for younger inmates in an American adult correction facility was established by the Public Schools Association in 1900.
In 19 building was replaced by a new, million-dollar City Prison featuring an eight-story Châteauesque facade with conical towers along Centre Street, bounded by Centre, White Street, Elm (today's Lafayette), and Leonard Streets.
A fire on November 18, 1842 destroyed part of the building, the same day that a notorious killer named John C. Apparently this was no coincidence, but if it was an escape attempt on Colt's part, it failed. He was never captured and his ultimate fate is unknown.